Computer Smarts (Brownie Try-it)--( You may have completed this at home or in school)
*note: some of these websites have changed and have different instructions for use now*
Computer Smarts- Complete 4 ( You may have completed this at home or in school)
1. Be Prepared! With an adult as your partner, learn to use an Internet browser. In the address slot, type in the address of the site you want to go. This tells your
computer exactly where to go. Are you there yet? Next, read and discuss the Safety
Pledge with your adult partner. Print it
2. Open the Door Visit a section of Just for Girls. You can do that by finding the hypertext ( text that is underlined above and in a different color). Click on words on the side bar that say "fun stuff" and see what items are located there. What safety rules should you follow? Learn how to return to the girlscout site front page.
3. Finding a Favorite Travel to Kiddle, a search engine just for kids. Check out the categories with your adult partner and find one that interests you. Then use the search engine to find information about a topic. Share what you find with others.
4. With your adult partner, can you find a site that has ".com'' at the end of its name? That means the company sells something. What does it sell? Does it give you useful information? How is advertising online the same as or different from what you see on television or in magazines? What should you do if asked for your name and e-mail address? Talk with an adult who has purchased something online. What things did she or he consider before making a purchase?
5. Learn how to make a chart with your computer. Make a kaper chart for a meeting, campout, or activity. If you have a color printer, experiment with coloring the letters and coloring cells in your table. ( you may have completed this in school)
6. Computers are needed in many different jobs. Talk with someone who uses a
computer in her work. How does she use it? How does it make her job easier?
7. Play an online game or puzzle with the permission of an adult or on girlscouts.org site.