All ages complete 3 requirements
- Learn about a country that celebrates Carnival. How do they do to celebrate? List three countries that celebrates Carnival.
- Brazil is the #1 country in the world that celebrates Carnival with extravagant floats, masks, beads, and contests. Research Brazil’s carnivals and look at pictures.
- Design your own float on paper or in reality. Include bright colors and streamers.
- Masks are an important part to carnival. Decorate a beautiful mask on paper or purchase a blank mask to decorate. Make sure to put lots of feathers and glitz on it.
- Make or purchase a king cake – a bread-like cake that is traditionally eaten at Carnival with yellow, purple, and green sprinkles on top. Learn more about where king cakes originated.
- Pretend to have your own Carnival! Dress up in masks, bright colors, and throw beads off a table or float.
- Learn, see, listen, or hear a dance or song from a country that is performed during Carnival. Examples are: playing the drums, their national song, or rhythmic dancing. Listen to some music from a Carnival country.
- The costumes for Carnival are very beautiful and extravagant. Look up some costumes and view pictures of them. For extra, draw your own costume.
- Learn about what Carnival (Mardi Gras) is like in Louisiana. What do they do? Where is it held? Learn some French phrases.
- Usually, a winner is crowned from the float or costume contests as a prince or princess. Become your own Carnival princess and create a banner to wear.
- Carnival is a day that changes every year. Find out why. Who chooses it?
- Make your own decorations with purple, yellow, and green. Some common things on a decoration are fleur de lis, jesters, flags, kings, queens, crowns, and more. For extra, learn why they use these colors.