Native Americans (Dine')
PURPOSE: To learn about the important contributions of Native Americans to the history and culture of Western Oklahoma and other areas of the United States
BROWNIES: Complete 4 activities, including #1 starred (*)
JUNIORS: Complete 6 activities, including #1 starred (*)
CADETTES, SENOIRS & AMBASSADORS: Complete 6 activities, including #1 starred (*)
- * On a map of the state of Oklahoma, find the Western area of Oklahoma where the Native American tribes originally inhabited.
- Dramatize an Native American legend or a historical Native American event.
- Learn to play an Native American game. Teach it to another patrol, younger Scouts or your sister troop.
- Attend a special Native American event (pow-wow).
- Visit an Indian museum within Western Oklahoma or perhaps an Native American exhibit within your locality.
- Learn about the food eaten by the Native Americans in our area, past and present. Prepare one of the foods.
- Observe the paintings of Native Americans artists and contrast them to other types of paintings.
- Learn about the crafts done by the Native Americans in their day-today living. Pick one of these crafts (such as Leather, beading, beading, pottery, basketry) and have fun learning how to do it.
- Learn about the differences in the dress and the homes of the different Native Americans in West.
- Learn how the Native Americans expresses himself in music and dance. Watch a video or demonstration.
- Learn an Native American dance, or make an Native American musical instrument, or learn a Native American song.
- Learn how the land has changed since the Native Americans was first here. What plants did the Native Americans bring to the land to cultivate? What animals are no longer here? What was the Native American concept of the “Mother Earth”?
- Learn what famous Native American artists reside in Western Oklahoma or your area and what art form they use (painting, sculpture, carving, etc.)
- Learn 10 Native American signs or symbols.
- Learn the meaning of the symbols of the State Flag and the State Seal where Native Americans resided.
- Choose a tribe and discover how one became enrolled in that tribe.